Kicking, when done well, involves balance and coordinated movement, without “flinging” the leg or arms. For today’s Bando minute, practice the following slowly:
- Stand with feet together, hands in safety X or on hips
- Lift the right knee to waist level (right foot is near left knee), and take a full breath
- Extend the right leg (straighten the knee) in front of you, take a full breath
- Bring the right foot back to the right knee, take a full breath
- Extend the right leg to the side and just barely touching the ground, keeping your weight on the left leg, take a full breath
- Shift your weight fully to the right leg, take a full breath
- Bring the left foot to the right foot, take a full breath.
Repeat this pattern, now moving the left leg.
If you have balance problems, stand next to a chair and try not to hold on actively, but simply rest a finger or two to help stabilize yourself.